Finding the Right Lawyer
Let’s be honest here. When I pose this question, I am asking, “How can you find me?”, because, within my subject and geographical area, I am confident enough to believe that I am the lawyer you need.
So, here goes:
- If you have heard of me and are within an hour or two drive from Buckhannon, Google search “J. Burton Hunter III”. Go ahead now, but remember to come back.
- Or go to Google Scholar, “WV Cases”, and type my name. I have won a high percentage of my appeals to the WV Supreme Court of Appeals.
- If you have not heard of a lawyer with a good reputation in your area, Google search “Family law, or personal injury, lawyer in north-central WV”.
- A surprising number of small-town lawyers don’t work on their social media or Google reviews. Others pay for what is obviously “canned” content.
- To me, that shows a lack of innovation, so I would keep looking for someone who does meaningful, original, content.
- Then read that lawyer’s reviews. Note, a lawyer in a contentious legal field like divorce law is going to get some “one-star” reviews.
- I will not get into peeing contests with these people. I have another point of view, but confidentiality ties my hands. Just consider the tone and content of such reviews, and read some others.
- The “Contact” portal of my website is fine. I will respond promptly, but please tell me who you are, the county where the dispute is, and let me know you are a real person and not a “bot” by sharing some details.
- Better to phone us: 304 472-7477. An accessible lawyer is not one without staff who is running himself ragged trying to survive on the court-appointed WV State pay scale. It is a tough way to make a living.
- Expect an accessible lawyer to have staff answering directly without a phone tree! No, “If you want to talk to ___ or ___ or ___, dial # ____”.
- Insist on speaking to a real person, who asks you simple-direct questions, and gets your message to the lawyer. Don’t ramble, but don’t be afraid to give a concise summary. If I can’t help, I will tell you and try to help you find what you need.
- Expect my staff to pick up before the end of the third ring, and expect the lawyer to return your call no later than the next day, or within the hour.
- If one lawyer’s website is simply a Google placement or AVVO.com or Lawyer.com, and another has a Website with a searchable blog with 1500 “green content” pages and 450 articles, which lawyer is more likely to have your answers?
- I hope you will choose the latter as that would be me. www.hunterlawfirm.net/blog
- If the lawyer’s staff is “a.w.o.l.” or part-time, or unhelpful, why think the lawyer will be any different?
- If you really want a deep dive into what a lawyer values and what makes him tick, consider reading one of these:
- 46 Years of Practicing Law in Buckhannon and Upshur County – Attorney J. Burton Hunter III : Attorney J. Burton Hunter III (hunterlawfirm.net)
- When you Choose a Lawyer, Choose Well. – Attorney J. Burton Hunter III : Attorney J. Burton Hunter III (hunterlawfirm.net)
- A “SUMMING” LETTER TO A YOUNGER COLLEAGUE – Attorney J. Burton Hunter III : Attorney J. Burton Hunter III (hunterlawfirm.net)
- A lawyer who values honesty, loyalty, and character will value you and your family.
- A lawyer who values “the almighty dollar” will put that dollar ahead of you.
This post was written by Burton Hunter