After a Car Accident: First Steps

After a Car Accident: First Steps

Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic and often life-changing experience. Knowing what steps to take after a car accident can help with future legal steps.

I am attorney J. Burton Hunter, III, and I have more than 32 years of experience representing victims of car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents. If you have been involved in a car accident, I can help you understand what steps you should take to maximize your recovery. Read the information below and contact my law office in Buckhannon, West Virginia, to set up an informative consultation.

What To Do After a Car Accident

There are certain steps you should take if you have been involved in a car accident:

  • Call 911 — If you or anyone involved in the crash needs assistance, call 911.
  • Call the police — Even if the accident is minor, call the police and report the accident.
  • Seek medical attention — It is important to seek medical attention no matter how minor your injuries appear to be. Don’t worry about the cost of medical care at this point. In addition to being an important step in ensuring your health and well-being, seeking a medical evaluation is an important legal step as well.
  • Gather important information — Get the contact information from any other drivers involved in the accident. If possible, gather additional evidence, take pictures, and get contact information from any accident witnesses.
  • Contact a personal injury lawyer — Talk to an attorney before you talk to your insurance company. Your insurance company will try to settle your claim for less than it is worth. With guidance from an attorney, you can seek full compensation for all expenses related to your accident. Don’t sign anything without first talking to an attorney.

Contact a Weston Elkins Vehicle Collision Injury Attorney

I work on a contingency basis in car accident cases. If I don’t win compensation in your case, you owe me nothing. To learn more, please contact me by e-mail or call toll free 304-472-7477.